Myro Control   |   Myro:Air   |   Myro:Bridge   |   Myro:Home   |   Contact   |   Support

Author Topic: First lightning dock DAC???  (Read 23791 times)

portal2poe

First lightning dock DAC???
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:14 am »
Even since I got my iPhone 5S, I've been searching for a DAC that can handle both Lighntning-USB audio-out from an iOS device AND charge that same device, natively without any need for the apple camera connection kits, or other such accessories...

If I read  the new manual correctly, the my:ro Air does precisely that...which in my scourings of the intertubes this fall, is the first device that I've found that handle both...am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Nathan

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
Re: First lightning dock DAC???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:18 am »
Hi!  Yes -- Myro:Air does exactly that!

While Myro:Air is not technically a "dock" it does offer a USB port in the back that allows you to charge and connect your iOS device while you play the audio through the flagship Wolfson DAC (WM8741) and even in parallel optical out via a Wolfson WM8804.   Just plug in your iPhone sync cable (USB > Lightning).

You could connect an iPhone dock like this as well:
Apple iPhone 5S Dock
Belkin Charge and Sync Dock with Lightning Cable Connector for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c and iPod touch 5th Generation (Silver)

Here is a link to the user manual: Myro:Air User Manual

portal2poe

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:19 am »
That's so great!  Someone finally said yes!!!

So...not to point potential customers in another direction...but are there other USB/DACs that can do this in a iphone 5s/lightning situation?

I don't know if its my lack of technical knowledge, or just that the mfgs are intentionally vague..., but I just don't see any products that make this claim, and we're over a year into the introduction of lightning...? What's the holdup?  It seems like maybe the vmoda vamp/sounddroid can do this, too, but I'm really looking for more of a desktop solution (I'm a computer programmer and sit at my desk all day, but I can't use my work computer as a music source)....so the myro:air seems like a great choice...although I'm afraid I'm paying extra for all the "home automation" stuff that seems to be a big part of what myro focuses on generally speaking....

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Nathan

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:53 am »
So...not to point potential customers in another direction...but are there other USB/DACs that can do this in a iphone 5s/lightning situation?

None that I'm aware of that offer lightning connector yet.

I don't know if its my lack of technical knowledge, or just that the mfgs are intentionally vague..., but I just don't see any products that make this claim, and we're over a year into the introduction of lightning...? What's the holdup?  It seems like maybe the vmoda vamp/sounddroid can do this, too, but I'm really looking for more of a desktop solution (I'm a computer programmer and sit at my desk all day, but I can't use my work computer as a music source)....so the myro:air seems like a great choice...although I'm afraid I'm paying extra for all the "home automation" stuff that seems to be a big part of what myro focuses on generally speaking....

Most manufactures need to reduce costs and increase volume of units to recoup the investment it takes to build a product like this.  Myro:Air took 2.5 years to get it to this point and thousands of work hours to get it to market.   We feel the cost for Myro:Air is inline with an "AirPort Express" for AirPlay @ $99 + a standalone DAC that uses a WM8741 ($500).  The two together with the combined USB connection/charging and home automation/control functionality make it an even better deal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:28:41 am by Myro Control »

portal2poe

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:37:45 pm »
Well hey that's pretty cool (first to the party so-to-speak) for you guys!  Should be a bigger part of your marketing maybe  ;)

Well I'm definitely very interested -- how long does the apple certification take?  :)

Thanks for up-front and honest responses!
Nathan

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:30 pm »
Well I'm definitely very interested -- how long does the apple certification take?  :)

Good question.  It's arriving at the testing facility this Friday and then we're hoping our hard work earns a "PASS" soon after but you never know.

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:30 pm »
Just wanted to follow up -- we have pass Apple Certification and will begin shipping on May 1st!