Myro Control   |   Myro:Air   |   Myro:Bridge   |   Myro:Home   |   Contact   |   Support

Author Topic: Combining iTunes, Airplay and Sonos  (Read 13669 times)

tofele

Combining iTunes, Airplay and Sonos
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:07:58 am »
I have been following myro:bridge for a while but am not sure if it really does what I am looking for and how many myro:bridges I would need.

Here is my setup:

- 2 MCA-C5 with 12 zones
- No Russound keypads!
- Instead I have a KNX home automation system plus a gateway to RIO which I use to turn on/off zones, change volume and switch sources via simple KNX keypads
- Russound app on iPads and iPhones
- Internal FM tuner as first source
- One Zonos:Connect as second source
- Raspberry Pi with XMBC and Airplay as a third source

I feel this is a clumsy setup. I have to use the Russound app to switch sources (unless I do it blindly via the KNX keypads), then switch to the Sonos app to select the music or Airpaly to the Raspi. I have been looking for a way to combine and simplify that, and Google found myro:bridge for me.

So here is what I am looking for:

- Full access to iTunes library and playlists
- Support for multiple iTunes libraries, including playlists. My kids will soon have their own iTunes libraries and playlists (currently only on iDevices, later on Macs) and will want access those as well
- Use of at least one Sonos Connect as a source to the two C5s
- Ability to airplay from any iDevice, requiring a source (e.g. Airport Express, RasPi with XBMC, myro:air) that understands AirPlay
- Possibly multiple Sonos Connect and AirPlay sources to allow multiple sources
- One user interface on my iDevices that does all of the above, selecting sources and mapping them to zones. That’s either the Russound or, preferably, the Sonos app. I don’t want to select the source with one app and the zone with another one. Currently, I need to use one app (iTunes) to select the AirPlay device (Raspberry Pi with XBMC), then switch to the Russound app to select it as input to one of the zones.

Sample Use Case:

- I want to listen to iTunes via Sonos app
- My wife wants to listen to Internet Radio via Sonos app
- Kid 1 wants to listen to his playlists on his iDevice via Airplay
- Kid 2 wants to listen to his playlists in his own iTunes library on his Mac via Sonos app
- Kid 3 wants to listen to FM radio source on Russound C5

Questions:

- What hardware do I need for the above sample use case? Multiple Sonos Connect and Airplay Streamers and myro:bridges? Or just one of each?
- Can I use one myro:bridge to support both, Sonos and Airplay/iTunes, or do I need separate bridges? I noticed you have to choose firmware for one or another, but not both.
- Do I need one bridge per Sonos or Airplay streamer or can I have just one bridge for multiple and different sources? I.e. one bridge for multiple Sonos and one bridge for multiple iTunes/Airplay sources?
- Can I access multiple iTunes libraries?
- Can I have my iTunes library on a NAS, e.g. Synology? I currently only have one MacBook Pro that may not have iTunes running at all times (or may be shut down). Do I need a Mac Mini with iTunes running?

I know, many questions in one thread, but I really must understand allthis before I decide to purchase. At the moment I am confused ...

And lastly, do you have a European distributor?

Thanks a lot
Tom

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
Re: Combining iTunes, Airplay and Sonos
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:52:17 am »
Hi Tom!

I was in the same boat hence the creation of Myro:Bridge and Myro:Air.  I wanted to simplify my system so my kids and wife could use it reliably.

You have a "headless" Russound system, meaning no Russound keypads instead you use the Russound App and automation system (KNX keypads) to control the Zones which should work fine.

Personally, I have a Russound Sphere System with XM, two iPod Bridges, Sonos and Myro:Air.   We seem to be using the Myro:Air exclusively now as all the streaming services we use are all available on iOS devices and we have iPhones and iPads around the house (Myro:Air also works with Windows and Android using UPnP).

The nice feature about Myro:Air is you can plug it into your Russound system and get 2-way metadata/transport control and/or you can control it via RS-232 via your control system and also get album art to the keypads if they support jpg/png via network url.

If you love your Sonos, the Myro:Bridge would bring 2-way metadata and transport control to the Russound (and anything connected to it, e.g. automation system).  You will need to use the Sonos app to change sources).

You have many options -- comes down to how you think your family will best utilize the system.

We can ship directly to you worldwide.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

tofele

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:21:14 pm »
Hi Danny

Thank you for responding and thank you for advertising both devices.

However, I am still as confused as before as I still don't have any answers to my explicit questions and my sample use case. It may be a bit extreme, all of us listening to 5 different sources in the same house, but I think it will help with my understanding (and maybe of others) of the required hardware and possible combinations for such an extreme case. I hope that I can then draw my own and correct conclusions from your answers and decide what I need and what I do not need.

Please also consider that I do not need a high end AirPlay device with the Wolfram chip, a simple AirPlay device will also do, e.g. for the kids. Unless of course you tell me an Myro:air is required to implement my use case, like combining iTunes and Sonos in one device.

Thank you very much!
Tom

Myro Control

• Administrator
  • Onwards and Upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:26 pm »
For you, using a Myro:Air wouldn't be for the high-end DAC but the ability to obtain metadata and transport control of the AirPlay stream.  You cannot do that with an AirPort Express, the only other system that comes close is the DMS3.1 by Russound (which is another option for you).

The challenge with me helping you is that your use case is very complex -- almost too complex.  That's why I was trying to give you insight (different perspective) of how I'm using my system personally with my family.

I still believe AirPlay (or UPnP) with metadata and transport control would suit you best and provide you with the best options -- with the added bonus of an amazing DAC. 

Again, you would be streaming via your iOS (or Android) device using AirPlay since everything you mentioned is available to an iOS device.

- Full access to iTunes library and playlists

Available via iOS device (iCloud and locally)

- Support for multiple iTunes libraries, including playlists. My kids will soon have their own iTunes libraries and playlists (currently only on iDevices, later on Macs) and will want access those as well

Available via iOS device (iCloud and locally)

- Use of at least one Sonos Connect as a source to the two C5s

What do you need the Sonos for?  What services are you using that are exclusive to the Sonos?

- Ability to airplay from any iDevice, requiring a source (e.g. Airport Express, RasPi with XBMC, myro:air) that understands AirPlay

All you need is AirPlay (and/or UPnP) streaming

- Possibly multiple Sonos Connect and AirPlay sources to allow multiple sources

Why do you need a Sonos again?

- One user interface on my iDevices that does all of the above, selecting sources and mapping them to zones. That’s either the Russound or, preferably, the Sonos app. I don’t want to select the source with one app and the zone with another one. Currently, I need to use one app (iTunes) to select the AirPlay device (Raspberry Pi with XBMC), then switch to the Russound app to select it as input to one of the zones.

I would use the Russound App to switch sources -- but mostly just to turn on a zone (which would be set to the source that provides AirPlay).  Then you should just start streaming... so it depends on how many streams you want.

Perhaps I'm missing something -- please provide more details why you use the Sonos and why you couldn't AirPlay that content instead.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:27:32 pm by Myro Control »